Epidemiological Profile of Urological Emergencies at Zinder National Hospital (HNZ)

Author(s): Kodo A, Halidou M, Oumarou K, Ousmane Manzo M S, Diongolé H, Adamou H, Amadou S

Abstract Introduction: urological emergencies are frequent and varied, and occupy an important place in the activities of urology departments. The aim of this study is to present the profile of urological emergencies at Zinder National Hospital.

Patients and Methods: This was a cross-sectional, descriptive study with retrospective and prospective collection on urological emergencies received and managed between over a three-year period from January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2023 in the emergency and urology departments of Zinder National Hospital. Sociodemographic, clinical and therapeutic parameters were studied. Data analysis was performed using Epi info 7.5.2 software.

Results: During the period, 458 urological emergencies were recorded, representing 18.72% of urological consultations (n=2446) and 6.64% of all emergencies admitted to the emergency department (n=6894). The average age of patients was 58, with extremes of 1 and 97 years. The 60- 80 age group (n=174) was the most affected. The majority of patients were male (91%, n=415), with a sex ratio of 9.9. The main emergencies were bladder retention of urine with 52.62% of cases, followed by urogenital infections (pyelonephritis, orchiepididymitis, external genital gangrene) with 20.29% of cases. The etiologies of acute bladder urine retention in men were prostatic tumors with 93.36% ( n=225) of cases, urethral strictures with 3.73%( n=9) of cases and bladder tumors with 1.24%( n=3) of cases. Sickle-cell anaemia was the cause of priapism in 66.66% and the other 33.34% by abuse of aphrodisiacs. Renal colic of lithiasic origin with 82.75% of cases (n=24). Traumatic emergencies (61.53%) occurred in road traffic. Therapeutic procedures included transurethral bladder catheterization in 43.45% of cases (n=199). Medication treatment in 20.30% of patients. Exploratory scrototomy, debridement, albuginorraphy, carveno-spongiosa shunting and trimming were the main surgical procedures performed (15.3%). catheterization of the ureter with ¨JJ¨ probe in 4 cases.

© 2016-2024, Copyrights Fortune Journals. All Rights Reserved