Autologous Platelet Rich Plasma-A Biological Therapeutic Option for Retrocalcaneal Bursitis and its Associations
Author(s): Madhan Jeyaraman, Vishalkumar S Patel, Hardik J Dhamshania, Naveen Jeyaraman, Preethi Selvaraj
Background: Retrocalcaneal bursitis is the inflammation of the bursa between the anterior aspect of the Achilles and posterior aspect of the calcaneum which is associated with achilles tendinitis, plantar fasciitis, calcaneal spurs, fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis.
Objectives: This study is conducted to review a series of patients prospectively with symptomatic retrocalcaneal bursitis and its associations to determine if PRP injections (1) provide symptomatic relief, (2) improved VAS and AOFAS scores and (3) alleviation of need of surgery.
Materials and Methods: After screening of cases, 128 cases entered into the study and have been treated with an autologous platelet rich plasma injection with due pre and post procedural care. The cases are followed up on day 0, at the end of 1st week, 1st and 6th month for pain and range of movements. The patients are followed up for complications and the data were analyzed statistically.
Results: Out of 128 cases, 76 patients (59.37%) improved with 1st dose and a further 38 patients (29.68%) with a 2nd dose of autologous PRP injection with an interval of 3 weeks from the first dose. A total of 89.05% of patients, who got treated with autologous PRP injection, had a good clinical and functional outcome even at the end of 1 year of injections and presented with statistically significant results with a p value <0.001. No adverse reactions and serious complications are noted in the study participants.
Conclusion: The autologous PRP injection is considered superior in treatment of retrocalcaneal bursitis, which minimise the pain and improve the functional quality of life.