Adherence of Obstetrician to the Guideline Regarding the Timing of Elective Caesarean Sections and its Effect on the Neonatal Outcome

Author(s): Maysara Mohammed Al-Badran, Maha Saleh Falgoos


  1. Study the adherence of obstetrician to the guideline regarding the timing of elective caesarean sections.
  2. Study the effect of timing of the procedure on the neonatal outcome.

Methods: In this cross-sectional observational study, involved 210 pregnant women who underwent elective caesarean section that subdivided into two groups according to gestational age at the time of caesarean section:

  1. Group A: < 39 weeks.
  2. Group B: ≥ 39 weeks.

All neonates were examined by Pediatrician; neonates who required admission to the NCU were followed up until discharge. 

Results: 66.7% of elective caesarean section were performed <39week gestation and remaining (33.3%) were performed at >39 weeks gestation. The commonest indication of caesarean section in all gestational age was previous scar (s) followed by malpresentation. There was statistically higher admission to NCU among neonates who were delivered before 39 weeks gestation.There were 5 cases of neonatal death among neonates who were delivered before 39 weeks. No case of neonatal death occurs among those who were delivered at or after 39 weeks gestation.


Conclusion: There is a high proportion of elective caesarean sections performed at earlier gestation than recommended by guideline. This was associated with increased neonatal mortality and morbidity.

© 2016-2024, Copyrights Fortune Journals. All Rights Reserved